Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

TRADITIONAL BAKING (THE FOSFIRE AMERICANA LIBRARY)



You only have to read one American  FOXFIRE series to become addicted, if you love the history of everyday Americans. I read TRADITIONAL BAKING (eBook) and I am looking for more. Apparently, there are all kinds of ways to obtain the knowledge in the series TRADITIONAL BAKING is part of a topical breakdown of these works.

Foxfire was/ is a high school program in Georgia dedicated to collecting the wisdom and knowledge of the elder members of the Appalachian culture. First published in 1970, the original series of books included 15 volumes. The topics include everything from cooking, natural health remedies, hunting, crafting, and other everyday activities.

I purchased this book because I have always been curious about the American culture as it pertains to everyday living. In addition, I want to learn how they cooked. 

The recipes are as detailed as you can get them if you were asking your grandmother or great grandmother: How do you make that? You get the ingredients but not oven temperatures or length of time to cook. 

This book dedicates a lot of space to the art of churning butter. Anyone who knows me knows that I see this as a challenge. I now want an old fashioned churner. 

FOXFIRE- TRADITIONAL BAKING barely took an hour for me to read. I spent a lot of time appreciating the pictures and imagining myself churning butter. 

                                      Written by Marsh L F Randolph

This book is part of my personal reading library. The review is my honest unsolicited opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment