The 14th book in the Elm Street Quilt book series was the quickest read, technically, of the series I have read. Why? Because, THE QUILTERS KITCHEN by Jennifer Chiaverini, is a total of 214 pages filled with mouth watering recipes as well as a short story. I don’t know if it is a recipe book with a story or a novelette with recipes woven in it. Should I put this book on the shelf with all of my cookbooks or keep it with my collection of books by Mrs. Chiaverini; of course it will go with the others.
Recipes aside this was an enjoyable book, a bit retrospective. There are only two characters presented in this book the most recent, Anna, and Sylvia. The story takes place in the kitchen of Elm Street Manor which is being remodeled. Anna and Sylvia are boxing up everything so that the carpenters and such can come in are upgrade the vintage area. The contents of the cabinets and draws take the reader along with Sylvia down memory lane. Which is why, again I say, you have to read these books in order.
Because I have read the other books in chronological order, I could remember as Sylvia revealed to the newest team member a story about the objects. Many of the recipes discussed were recipes prepared in a previous book; I don;t remember all of them (bonus recipes perhaps) I do remember the cornucopia incident between Sylvia and Claudia.
The recipes: OMM! (Oh my my) I saw a few that I want to investigate and I am happy to share that the reader will find a directory of all recipes mentioned in the back of the book. NOTE: The recipes are presented in a logical fashion not taking away from the story.
Of course I am going to recommend the book but not because of the quilt made, though there was discussion of making one, but because of the recipes and like Book 13 THE WINDING WAYS QUILT it is like a refresher course of where we have been. Not only do we have 2, 3 if you count the husband, new characters but it looks like there may be a problem in the next book: THE LOST QUILTER.
It will be a while before I read another Jennifer Chiaverini book because I have at least 2 novels in the cure and, one non-fiction book and 2 crafting books to read and review plus Tax season is over for me and I am going back to work early! I AM NOT A FAST READER.
WRITTEN by Marsha L Floyd
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
No comments:
Post a Comment