Pages

Friday, September 11, 2026

BOOK THOUGHTS: THE WINDING WAYS QUILT An Elm Creek Quilts novel

 

This is the first time in my history of reading that I committed myself to reading this many books by the same fiction author, particularly a series. THE WINDING WAYS QUILT-An Elm Creek Quilts Novel by Jennifer Chiaverini is book  the 13th out of 24 of the Elm Street Quilt series. I was attracted to the quilting theme of the first book before I knew: THE QUILTERS APPRENTICE,  published 1999,  which I read in August 2025. Yes, I recommend this book.

My thoughts: 

I was reading this book, which reveals more about the characters we all know sharing more of their personal stories. It helps those of us who have been reading these novels develop a better perspective of why each individual is the way she is and what drew them to quilting. Each chapter is dedicated to one of the characters we know, though not all and as I read her chapter I discovered I really am not fond of her. I wasn’t fond of her when I was first introduced to her and so when I got to the chapter dedicated to her I struggled, it took me days to get through that one chapter! I really had to force myself to read it. Yes, I was happy for her. (No! I am not going to write why.) I was able to understand why she is, prayerfully in time she will make an attitude adjustment. I know it is not going to be in book 14 to because I am almost through with that one! 

For those of you who want to know what the book is about I suggest you read the comments whereever you buy your books or read the reviews. All of the books in the series are about quilting a friendship.  THE WINDING WAYS QUILT looks deeper into the complexities of personalities as individuals.  The book is about real friendship, loving someone despite their shortcomings; it is about patience and kindness and respect.  And so, even though I am not fond of that one person, I am happy for her. 

Reading this book has convinced me that you should read it only after you have read the other 12. You can read it out of order but it takes away from the growth revealed in each of the individuals. By book 13 they will have become your friends. It has taken me 13 books to reach a point of understanding of a character whom I met 12 books ago and knew there was something about her that indicated that she could not be my best friend. There were other characters that I want to read the next book because I am concerned, I can’t call her so I have to read the next book. If you read the book in chronological order the characters become your friends, especially if you are a quilter. I am a quilter and I will be meeting with them in the next book THE QUILTERS KITCHEN.

WRITTEN by Marsha L Floyd

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment